When I was younger everything had a
gender and was meant for that gender. For example, the colors blue, red, and
green were boys; while the colors pink, yellow, and orange were girls. Unless
it was my uniform- I had a dark blue and white uniform from Kindergarten to 3rd
Grade- one would not see me in what I thought to be “boy colors.” I was not
raised to think that way it is just how I categorized objects and things when I
was that age. So when it came to superheroes most of them were boys, so I
thought they were for boys. However, there was one superhero from my childhood
that was a female, that I adored, and that I can say is my favorite. Sailor
Moon.
According to Duncan and Smith’s
article “Comic Book Genres: The Superhero Genre” a superhero must display
certain elements that define them as a superhero: a costume, a mission, powers
not possessed by any normal human, and a dual identity. Sailor Moon holds all
of these things and can therefore be categorized as a superhero. Her costume
consists of red knee-high boots, a blue mini skirt, a white leotard with a red
bow in the front that holds her transformation crystal, a blue and white cape,
and a second red bow in the rear. Elbow high white and red gloves, and
accessories that frame her face. After her transformation she proclaims her
mission to her enemy. “I stand for truth and I stand for love. I am Sailor
Moon! I will triumph over evil and that means you.” A paraphrase from what I remember as a child.
Her powers come from her past life as the Moon Princess Serenity which gives
her authority over her tiara, that can slice and destroy many enemies, and a
series of wands that change and upgrade with each passing season. All of this
is hidden by her identity as a normal 14-year-old high school student by the
name of Serena.
In
addition to the bright colors, the fact that she was an evil fighting female,
and had adventures in space I believe what interested me the most was her
elegance when fighting. Around the time I watched Sailor Moon I was a ballerina studying at Dancing of the Streets in
Chicago and I was learning how to be graceful, careful, and classy while
dancing. Sailor Moon had all of this while battling Queen Beryl, having her
friend’s heart crystals stolen, and trying to find a princess. I looked up to
this. I used to mimic her transformations and attacks, and reenacted episodes
from Cartoon Network with my friends during recess. We all loved her and the
Sailor Scouts. It was how we bonded with one another at such a young age.
Sailor
Moon in reality was 14-year-old adolescent. When analyzing her crime fighting
self and her everyday normal self I realize the only thing she really took
seriously was her crime fighting. While Serena would whine, complain, and was clumsy
but when she transformed into Sailor Moon she became a devoted defender of
justice.
She essentially
grew up as a result of her transforming. She became more serious, dedicated,
and responsible. So when thinking about what Sailor Moon would do to handle a
problem in my adult life I would have to remember she would do it as an adult.
No matter the situation she would face it as a grown up should with loyalty,
perseverance, and in a graceful manner. That is what I wanted to be when I grew
up and what I continue to strive to be.
Since Sailor Moon has the costume, purpose,
powers, and double identity to classify her as a superhero. It is because of
her grace, elegance, and dignity when fighting that makes her my favorite
superhero. When handling a situation and imagining how she would resolve it I
believe she would behave as a responsible adult and take care of the situation
the best way possible. Just like her theme song says “Never running from a real
fight…” I will take her example and never run from a problem but handle them
like an adult.
I absolutely love that you pulled from what seems another genre and tied it in with the class! Sailor Moon is not something that jumps into the mind first when thinking of superheroes, but she really does fit the bill. I used to love the show when I was little, though I did not get to watch it often. It was so exciting that ordinary schoolgirls could get those powers and do all of those amazing things. I always thought it would be really neat to be a scout and get to go on those crazy adventures with my friends as well! I kind of feel like this show did for girls what Captain Marvel and Robin did for younger boys. It gave us a fantasy to live through and the inspiration that even younger girls could make get power and make a difference.
ReplyDeletePlus, I agree, the theme song is simply fantastic! =D
Thank you. I didn't know how people would feel about me taking a new superhero and tying it into the class. I never thought about how she does for young girls what superheroes like Captain Marvel and Robin do for younger boys. You gave me a new perspective.
DeleteExcellent job, Brianna! You are absolutely correct about your assessment of Sailor Moon as a model of grace and class while also defeating evil: Not a bad combination and a good model to look for for inspiration. I also really like that the show gave you something to share with your friends as well. I can guess that the teamwork exhibited by the Sailor Scouts was something that helped strengthen your own friendships through your play.
ReplyDeleteWow, I'd totally forgotten about sailor moon. nice tie in. I remember watching the show as a child and wanting her to win over the bad guys. The color scheme reference you begin your entry with is what catches my attention however. Sailor moon was blue! One of her friends red, another green, and another orange. I did not bother to think of why the girls wore supposedly "masculine" colors, it just made sense. The analysis you gave on Sailor moons alter ego was enlightening, thank you
ReplyDelete