In season seven episode one of Buffy The Vampire Slayer Willow is in
England with Giles undergoing rehabilitation for over use of magic. With her
thoughts she is able to summon a flower that according to Giles is native to
South America and should not be able to thrive in London. When Giles asks
Willow why it is present her answer is “The Earth is all connected.” When
discussing the Law of Transformation from The
Seven Spiritual Laws of Superheroes this is the scene I thought of to help
me understand the concept. I believe it is a perfect example.
According
to Chopra’s the Law of Transformation superheroes know they are connected to
all things in the universe. The superhero Chopra uses to explain this idea is
Storm and how her powers come from a connection to the universal Self. The Self
that is aware of its relationship to the source of all things in the universe.
If she ever feels she is her individual self and only her individual self her
powers will cease to perform at their full potential. It is difficult as a
human to understand how we connect to the universe. For a normal human, Chopra
gives the example of when someone looks at a tree and sees their lungs. Like
our lungs provide oxygen to our bodies trees provide oxygen to the planet. If
one ceases to perform the other does as well. It is still a little too complex
to understand completely.
When
we think of ourselves we do not automatically think “I am the light, the
darkness, the rivers, and the desert.” That type of thinking, for some, is too philosophical
to apply to every aspect of our lives. So I believe we can start by taking a
look at Aristotle’s phrase “The whole is better than the sum of its parts”
specifically the “sum of its parts.” The person we are today is the result of
all things we have said, done, experienced, and even the people we are related
to. How often has the phrase “learn from the mistakes I have made” been said?
We learn from all things.
Very
often I have heard people say I wish I could go back in time and not have said
that or I should have done this. I am guilty of wishing this as well. What I
have learned is it is those actions in the past that make us who we are now and
connect us to who we will be. They are the different parts that make up the whole
of who we are. Without the lessons we have learned by saying the wrong
statement, not double checking a test, or trusting the wrong person with our
secrets we would not be who we are now, but because we did make them we learned
from them and became the people we are today. In addition to making us who we
are at this moment those lessons will continue to follow us as we get older and
connect us to our future selves. By rationalizing that we are ourselves
connected by the past, present, and futures surrounding us we can start
applying the Law of Transformation to our lives.
So
in the following episodes of season seven when Willow becomes more powerful and
stable with her powers it is because she has realized her connection with the
earth and all things in it. She accomplished the Law of Transformation by
coming to terms with the amount of magic she possesses. We can act on the Law
of Transformation by coming to terms with how our pasts make us who we are now
and who we will be in the future. It is all inside of us.
First point, I absolutely LOVE that you used that Buffy reference <3 It really does tie perfectly into what we are discussing. Willow has some great insights throughout that show.
ReplyDeleteI like your point about our experiences making us who we are. I agree 100% with this. We shouldn't regret the things that shaped our selves today. We should instead learn what we should possibly do tomorrow to make ourselves better. The Law of Transformation illustrates this perfectly. Very nice post!
This is excellent. Your interaction with the Chopra text is very thoughtful and the connection to Buffy also shows a solid understanding of the principles that Chopra is outlining. Good job!
ReplyDelete