Sunday, March 17, 2013

Reflection #7


Part 1

            It is amazing how good you feel after a break from routine. I never noticed how much I needed spring break until it was finally here. In one week I slept better, became more energetic, and actually had more time to focus on taking care of myself. Since I didn’t have to go to class, do homework with a close deadline, or study for an upcoming exam I was able to perform some of the exercises from The Seven Spiritual Laws of Superheroes.

            The first one I tried was silent meditation. I sat up - laying down would have resulted in me falling asleep - cross my legs, breathed and just let go. I did not think about what work I had due the Monday I got back on campus, I did not think about taking the dishes out of the dishwasher, I just sat a listened to myself. Even more than listening to myself I relaxed. Emptying my mind and not thinking about school work, friends, or the future is very calming. It was a freeing experience.

            The second exercise I tried was to take notice of the sounds, sights, and smells that I perceived and thinking about the person who noticed it. I would recognize the cars driving by my condo, the upstairs neighbor’s footsteps, even the color of every car in the parking lot. This exercise was exhausting. I felt like I was trying to place myself in multiple places at once. I was stretching myself too thin. This is not an experience I care too much for. So while I may start meditating over the summer, when my time isn’t on a schedule for class and getting assignments done, taking notice of everything and the person who noticed them may not be a routine activity for years to come.

Part 2

            I would have never thought to compare Batman’s relationships to people in terms of Aristotelian definitions of friendships. It is an eye opening explanation and Morris does a fabulous job of explaining it. As for me and my life, many of my friendships are of pleasure. My friends and I enjoy hanging out and being near each other. We like talking, watching movies, and spending time with one another. I could not have a person as a friend if it was not enjoyable being around them. I have tried it before and it did not work out well.

            Though my friendships have some aspects of utility – rides to and from the train station in Galesburg or borrowing textbooks - we just do not depend on each other for when we need something. For that to be the case I would only talk to them when I was in need of something they could offer me. Instead I spend hours at meals talking to them, call to make sure they made it home for break, and plan to go to movie premieres with one another. Friendships based on just benefit do not do things like that. We do it because we enjoy one another’s company.

            The one friendship I can see reaching the level of virtue is the one with my boyfriend. I believe for that to happen we would have to know that we will always be able to take care of the other. I do not know how that can be but I think we are on the right road for it to happen. We’ll just have to wait and see.

1 comment:

  1. I find it interesting that you have more pleasure relationships with your friends than utility. To be honest, I think that is probably better. Friends shouldn't rely on eachother to do something. They should be enjoying eachother's company and having a good time. That is what I see as a friend, not someone who is using you for some sort of gain. As for your possible virtue relationship, I couldn't agree with you more. I have no doubt in my mind my girlfriend will eventually become a friendship of virtue. However, I try not to think of it in that way because it kind of makes the title of the relationship sound like it isn't enjoyable. But that is just my personal opinion.

    ReplyDelete