Start a new fashion wear your heart
on your sleeve.” Carrie Underwood may have been singing about love and it may
have been for the movie Enchanted but
for the homework assignment this week in class we had to take it a little more
seriously. This week we had to exercise the Law of Love by telling someone how
much we appreciate them and value their presence in our lives. It could not be
a parent, significant other, or sibling. A friend, mentor, or someone within
that category had to be chosen. This assignment proved to be difficult for me.
I do not express
my emotions very well. Even if I am writing it down I have a hard time with the
words. When I do express myself it makes me emotionally vulnerable. I get this
overwhelming feeling and I want to stop what I am doing because it doesn’t feel
right. However, if it is for someone I deeply care about I can get past the
feeling and continue on. In some cases it is easy to tell my feelings when the
time is appropriate.
Recently, my
friend started another relationship with her ex-boyfriend. I never knew what
cause them to break up in the first place but from what I could gather he was
not always honest with her. Though they broke up they still kept a close
relationship as friends and he was constantly telling her how much she meant to
him as more than just a friend. Not how I would go about a break-up but it is
how it worked for them. So much that they decided to give themselves another
try.
I do not know if
their relationship would work the second time around. All I know is that as my
friend I care about her. I do not like to see her upset, I want what is best
for her, and if for any reason he makes the same mistake twice he will regret
it. This is what I told her. She was so shocked by my confession that she did
not know what to say. That was fine by me. As long as she knows I am genuinely
concerned about her well-being I do not need a thank you or recognition. I just
want her to come to me when she needs me. It is nice to know that people can
trust you with their emotional lives, and will come to you when they need. My
confession was to reinforce that I will be available for her when she needs it.
I am not the
emotional type. I have not been for a long time, but that does not keep me from
expressing myself when I need to. Although this assignment was out of my
comfort zone the moment arose when I could easily and genuinely complete it. As
uncomfortable as it was for me I learned a lot about how easy or difficult it
is for me to express myself. At times utilizing the Law of Love can be easily
done other times it is not. I will try to use the Law of Love more, but it will
not be for every aspect of my life. Just when the time is right.
Good for you telling your friend how you feel about her situation. I think it probably meant a lot more to her since, as you said, you have a hard time telling people things like that. I am the same way so when I am seriously concerned about someone and I tell them, it hits home harder than if most anyone else were to say the same thing.
ReplyDeleteI'm not really the emotional type either, and having to call a friend to tell them how much they meant to me was defiantly the last thing I really wanted to do. Like you said though, when it comes to telling someone who you deeply care about, it seems as if the nervousness you had goes away once you know they are understanding you.
ReplyDelete