Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Real Life Superhero


           If I had not seen the documentary for myself I never would have believed that people in real life dress up and call themselves superheroes. That people go out fight drug dealers, try to catch criminals, and patrol the streets for danger. Like Stan Lee said, I would be worried if a person went out and fought with people that had weapons. The danger is real. So while I admire some of these people for their passion the more dangerous situations I would leave to people with the experience and training to handle it.

            If I were to make a superhero costume I would make it out of fabric that is easy to sew but designed in a way that makes me stand out. Luckily I took a clothing class my senior year of high school and am familiar with how to use a sewing machine. So the fabric would be something I could sew, move around in, and make me stand out. So maybe a bright colored polyester to be noticed with elastic sewn inside for stretch.

            My specific problem I would try to combat is kids and role models. I do not believe there are enough positive role models in the world for young children. Role models that promote good character, positive morals, and respect for yourself and others. I want to be the role model that represents these ideals for them. Since kids already look up to superheroes who better to look up to than a real superhero in their neighborhood. Since I am dealing with children the only equipment I would need is something that would keep their attention, and will assist me in promoting the values I represent.

Since I would be focusing on kids I should not wear a mask. To many things can be associated with a masked person hanging around young children, but even if that wasn’t an issue I don’t want to be a “Do as I say, Not as I Do” hero. I want them to know that the values I teach I believe in and apply to my lifestyle. So whether they see me in my costume or in jeans they know I believe in what I do completely.

It is difficult to say which hero from Superheroes I identify with the most, but I think it would be Mister Extreme. In the beginning of the film he says “I do this to protest all that is wrong in the world.” I agree with that statement because I would create my real life superhero persona to protest all that is wrong with the choices of role models in the world. Not all the role models are wrong but I do believe some need a reality check. So I would be that realistic role model just like Mister Extreme is the realistic hero. He works with the police, puts up signs to inform the public, and trains to become better. It is that realism I can identify with.    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment