I don’t know about everyone else in
class, but every time something superhero related comes up I look at it as if
it is for class. While watching the Iron
Man 3 trailer I tried to determine why the producers choose the scenes they
did. How the choices I make can fit into my superhero profile, and many other
situations that happen. This was most prominent during ABC Family’s Back to
Back Batman weekend.
ABC Family played
every Batman movie since 1989 leading up to the network premiere of Batman Begins. So I noticed how Batman and Robin opened up with a Bat
symbol followed by a Robin symbol coming together to signify who the movie was
about, and later them coming together not just as partners but as a family. I
never noticed that when I was younger. I noticed the sad irony in Batman Forever when Dick Grayson did the
Death Drop in the circus performance but was the only member of his family that
didn’t drop to his death. However, Two Face also fell to his death just like
the Grayson family. You reap what you sow. I also took notice of when the
cameras would zoom into a characters face and that what just happened affects
them on an emotional level. The biggest point I was trying to determine was not
from the movie perspective but from ABC Family’s.
The
marathon went in the order of Batman
Forever, Batman and Robin, Batman, and Batman Returns. Not only is this not chronological as far as story
line, but it isn’t chronological of production. The whole weekend I wondered
why they decided to do this. It is because they are ending in Batman Begins. ABC Family is making an
assumption that their viewers have not seen any of the Batman films and do not
know that whatever will happen in Batman
Begins has nothing to do with what happened in the previous four. If viewers
were to watch the first four and notice that the last two don’t follow the
story line of the first two when they get to the final film they would not be
surprised that there is a new storyline.
It
is not only the creators of the superhero plot and themes that needs to think
about the viewers and how it relates to the bigger picture being presented, but
also the people who use these medias after their initial release. If this was
someone’s first time seeing Batman Begins
the producers needed to find a way to build up the excitement, but they also
needed to inform the audience that what happened previously did not matter so
they showed them out of order. An interesting method, but it works.
I watched a few of the movies over the weekend as well. As I was watching Batman Returns, I was just like.. this is so awful. As in awful, I mean just how corny it was. The acting was not good at all. I really didn't even think of the storyline and how it related to the comics. I was too busy making fun of the acting I guess. I used to think those movies were awesome until seeing them now. I guess we are just spoiled by the trilogy created by Christopher Nolan.
ReplyDelete